Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Any update on the info onthe denture tablet? My beagle ate

Any update on the info...
Any update on the info onthe denture tablet? My beagle ate 2 tablets (Polident 3 minute) and threw up. She drank water. What should I do?

Bill
11/19/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

The concern with these tablets is the caustic or burning nature to the gi tract

Dr. Altman :

It is a concern she has vomited because it can cause damage to the esophagus

Dr. Altman :

At this point please ensure she is drinking plenty of water and if you notice any blood in the vomit or her stool please seek a veterinary er in your area

Dr. Altman :

In general these have primarily gi side effects of vomiting and diarrhea but if it causes stomach or esophageal ulcerations it can become more serious

Dr. Altman :

Plenty of water would be used to dilute the polident in her gi tract and "flush" it out

Dr. Altman :

But if you do note any more serious side effects and/ or the vomiting continues please seek a veterinary er in your are

Dr. Altman :

aera

Dr. Altman :

Oops, area

Customer:

OK, thanks. I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she drinks plenty of water. We have a fine Vet ER about a mile away if necessary.

Dr. Altman :

Perfect

Dr. Altman :

And if she is vomiting the water please pull it away from her to minimize further issues

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions this evening? I don't know why one of those would be tasty to Foxy! What dogs eat...

Customer:

No, you've answered my question. Thanks and good night.

Dr. Altman :

Good night, good luck to you both the next 24 hours

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
How did Foxy do overnight?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian