Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My mini schnauzer is a finicky eater and seems to not want

My mini schnauzer is a finicky eater and seems to not want the same thing two meals running. What do you suggest I do . She is approx 8 -10 yrs old and was found in wandering in bad condition about 5 months ago. She has been medicated for eye infection, ear infection and 8 teeth were pulled due to the heavy tatar build up on her teeth causing tooth rot. Then she had an emergency hystorectormy due to the previous antibiotics masking the uturus issues. The infection was sealed inside her and was 2 lbs full of pus when removed. She is a wonder dog and has bounced back but since her Big surgery she has become a very picky eater and today has started throwing up. What an I feed her that will not break my bank?

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

It sounds like Athena is living up to her name and has been through quite a big in such a short period of time!

Dr. Altman :

First, you may want to add in an antacid for a short period of time to help with an upset stomach if she is showing indications of vomiting

Dr. Altman :

If the vomiting continues definitely a veterinary exam is warranted

Dr. Altman :

Is she eating the food with the cooked ground meat within the diet?

Customer:

Yes she has. My vet thinks she may hav been a puppy mill brood bitch.

Dr. Altman :

It sounds like it is a possibility with that history

Customer:

She picks th e dry food out of the ground meat. If I put water in it she just walks away.

Dr. Altman :

How about exercise? Does she get a daily walk? If so, how far and at what pace?

Customer:

I feel that just meat is too rich for her. So I am wondering if I should suspend the dry food and put veggies into the meat.

Dr. Altman :

You can definitely do a homemade diet but it will need to include more than just meat and veggies

Dr. Altman :

There is a great book called Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats

Dr. Altman :

You can purchase a used version on amazon and it will help you create a well-balanced homemade diet for her

Customer:

She does walk daily but not too far as I am recovering from double knee replaement but I some time let her off the lease for fast trot. She responses well to the comand of Come.

Customer:

Sounds like just up my line. I eat only homegrown or certified non GMO and organic.

Dr. Altman :

Yes, I had to feed a homemade diet and it can be overwhelming

Dr. Altman :

The book is quite helpful

Customer:

I will check that out but is there anything beside antiacid I can do immediately?

Dr. Altman :

Walking is so important in the grand scheme of things because if you think about it dogs are nomads and the best way to "build" an appetite is to get her moving and active. It also helps promote gi health because it causes gi motility as well...

Dr. Altman :

If she is vomiting the best thing you can do is wait 12 hours and then try small frequent meals to test her stomach. For example, 1 tbsp hourly for a few hours then increase the quantity while reducing the frequency

Dr. Altman :

The hardest thing to do in this situation is to do nothing because our instinct is to treat to feel better

Dr. Altman :

For a 22 pound dog it would be pepcid 10 mg (1/2 tablet) every 12 hours or prilosec 20 mg (1/2 tablet) daily

Dr. Altman :

Do this about 15 minutes prior to meals. If her reduced appetite is due to any upset stomach or nausea this should help

Customer:

Ok she is 18 lbs so I can go from there. I think you have helped me a lot to go forward with her.

Dr. Altman :

Great! Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Dr. Altman :

I hope you feel better soon as well by the way!

Customer:

The paws of her front feet look like they have been melted and a couple of the pads have a side ways tear drop shape but her nails on those toes curl down onto the pointed end of the pad. Should I have her nails cuts?

Dr. Altman :

Yes definitely

Customer:

Ok I will do that immediately.

Dr. Altman :

I would recommend cutting the nails every few weeks because likely the quick is very long on her and cutting them more frequently will cause the quick to recede

Dr. Altman :

So for a few months every 2 week nail trims and the nails should be able to be trimmed shorter and shorter to help her get more comfortable

Dr. Altman :

How else can I assist you both today?

Customer:

I think I have my questions answered. Thank you very much,

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome

Dr. Altman :

It sounds like you are doing a lot for Athena, she is a very lucky girl!

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

Thankk you and she has responded to it also. I tell her that we are just two old broads having a good time in life.

Dr. Altman :

:)

Customer:

:-)