Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a tweeny daschund (15 lbs) who will be three years old

in June. When I...
I have a tweeny daschund (15 lbs) who will be three years old in June. When I got him he was six months old (distemper shot he got a reaction and his head had lumps) vet gave him cortizone and went away and he was fine. This year the vet does not recommend giving the shot for fear of a reaction. He says he can't keep giving cortizone and the cortizone may not work. I live in NYC and if he gets distemper he'll die and if he does get the shot he may have a reaction or suffocate and die. I gave him benedryl first time after he gave him the cortizone shot and he was fine. Vet told me to wait three weeks after the rabies and bordello (Rocco my dog plays with Sophie (his best friend) in day care) Day care won't take him unless he has his distemper shot. I need him to stay at hotel when my relative who is dying dies and I have to fly out. Don't know what to do??
11/15/2013
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. I've encountered this situation many times. In cases where Distemper is a common problem there is definite concern when a dog is not vaccinated. In these cases I recommend dropping the pet off at the vet to stay the day and be monitored. I give an injection of steroids before the vaccine along with an injection of benadryl as well. Then I have the pet owner give benadryl every 8 hours for 24 hours after the vaccine is given. Finally, I give an approved 3 year vaccine in these situations so that it is only something that has to be dealt with every 3 years. Perhaps you can discuss these options with your veterinarian. If you have more questions please reply back.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian

Hi Lydia,

I'm just following up on our conversation to see if you had any more questions.

Dr. Christian K.

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian