Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

my dog who is 12 has a growth on her belly size little bit

my dog who is 12 has a growth on her belly size little bit larger than a pea that seems to have gotton bigger has hair growing from the top and is ozzing a liquid.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

May I ask how long ago you first noticed the lump and what color the discharge is she is leaking?

Customer:

she has had the growth for several years but was small just in the last month it seems to have gotton bigger. the discharge is clear.

Dr. Altman :

Is it on her belly towards the ground or closer to her chest where she might traumatize it by lying down? Is she able to lick the area?

Dr. Altman :

It is positive sign that it has been present for a while and it sounds like a cyst with clear discharge. If you are able to keep her from licking it, use an oatmeal-based dog shampoo or ivory soap to gently clean it daily it should heal back up but unfortunately some dogs will constantly traumatize based on its location and continue to rupture so some of these that recur we do have to remove

Customer:

on her belly right in the center and yes she can lick it

Dr. Altman :

If she is a good dog, once it has healed and is small like a pea again with no redness/ irritation your vet should be able to try to remove it with a local anesthetic

Dr. Altman :

If she is a little more sensitive it might require sedation and/ or general anesthesia to remove

Dr. Altman :

If you have a t-shirt that would cover it so she cannot lick that would be idea

Dr. Altman :

Oops ideal

Dr. Altman :

A dog's mouth is full of bacteria and if it is not infected her licking can cause increased inflammation and infection

Dr. Altman :

So a t-shirt is usually a good way to deter the licking

Dr. Altman :

But if it increases in redness, the discharge becomes red or yellow tinged then it is time to see your vet

Dr. Altman :

You can also use benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours to help with the itchiness as it heals. This might cause mild sedation

Customer:

it does look red today but the discharge is still clear. will take her to the vet. thank you.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions today?