Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog started dripping drool from his left side of his mouth.

My dog started dripping drool from his left side of his mouth. Other than the drool he seems fine and I can't find anything in his mouth
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did he get into anything?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Any vomiting?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just noticed it. no vomiting and hasnt got into anything i can find. he weighs 50 lbs

Did you look under the tongue, teeth, gums, etc.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ya everything looks fine

1- The drooling is only coming from the left side, correct?
2- Can you see if he has any facial asymetry, droopy eyes, etc.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ya its mostly from the left side. He looks totally normal and is acting normal.

Steve, there are many possible causes for excessive drooling in a dog. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on exam. But, common causes are: Oral discomfort, nausea, gastrointestinal disorders or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. The fact that it is only on the left side and without any other symptoms I would place a dental problem high on the list of possible causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. For tonight what you can do is start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 2 tablets every 12 hours. The benadryl will help decrease the drooling. You can buy Benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Steve,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Smokey. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter