Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is vomiting, shaking & has a cold nose. Does she need

My dog is vomiting, shaking & has a cold nose. Does she need to be seen by a vet?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is Chase vomiting?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Is she spayed?
4- Did she get into anything?
5- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she has vomited 4 times in the past 2 hours-the last time was fluid. I don't think she got into anything. She is spayed & wieghs about 45 lbs. I am concerned about volvulus

1- Any other symptoms?
2- Are you seeing any abdominal swelling?
3- Can you take a look at her gum and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

T is 100.6. Her gums don't look pale. No swelling. She vomited again-frothy. She is a bit less active than usual, but is able to walk around-just went outside with my other GSP (who is fine)

Her temperature is normal (99.5-102.5 F), thank you.

Beth, if you are not seeing any abdominal swelling and she is not behaving restless it is highly unlikely this is related to a gastric dilatation volvulus. Vomiting can be caused by:
A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, inflammation or even secondary to a systemic disease. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above, she will need to be seen by a veterinarian for xrays and blood work to determine the exact underlying cause.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter