How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30358
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

will chocolate hurt a dog?

This answer was rated:

will chocolate hurt a dog?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. Chocolate is toxic to dogs, very dose dependent. Can you please answer the below questions and I will be glad to let you know if it is a concern or not.

1- How much does diamond weigh?
2- How much chocolate did she eat?
3- Type of chocolate?
4- How long has it been since she ate it?
5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is 8.5lbs. She ate a small piece of chocolate lava cake. Its been about 10 mins she ate it. Yes we have peroxide

1- Is this dark, milk, baking, etc. chocolate?
2- How many ounces did she eat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


dark chocolate cake and less than an ounce I think. She ate it when my son dropped it on the floor. I think it was less than an ounce.

David, an 8.5 lbs Diamond would need around 1 ounce of dark chocolate to be concern about toxicity. In cake the amount of chocolate is usually less. So, if she ate less than 1 ounce of cake it is not likely for this to be systemically toxic. To be on the safe side you can go ahead and induce vomiting with peroxide. This is what you can do:

1- To induce vomiting give her 1 (one) teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), she will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Diamond. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter