Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I just pulled what I thought was a tick off my dogs face...turns

I just pulled what I thought was a tick off my dog's face...turns out it was a scab of some sort and now she has a sore spot (a little bloody) on her face...what's safe to treat it with? Neosporin?

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX i am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

How long ago did this happen? where exactly on the face is this wound?

Customer:

I just noticed it about 5 minutes ago...on her face near her mouth...it was a bump...tick sized. When I went to pull it off...it was a scab.

Dr. G. :

I see. Is it in "licking range"?

Customer:

yes...she could probably reach it with her tongue

Dr. G. :

I see. I would not put anything on it in that case. You can use some hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and wipe the area twice a day, however the wound should be fine. Dogs like the taste of most human topical medications like neosporin, so it would likely make her lick the area and worsen the wound. It is best to leave it at this point

Dr. G. :

I see you have rated me bad service

Dr. G. :

I would like to change your mind on that. Please let me know how I can further assist you

Customer:

sorry....I wasn't seeing any answer....I'll definitely change it. I'll use the hydrogen peroxide....I just didn't want to use anything that would be toxic.

Dr. G. :

The peroxide will be safe. the wound should heal up within a couple days. nothing major to worry about

Customer:

great...thanks...I just wish I knew how she did it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

Dr. G.