Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog UTI/Bladder infection. Bloody urine.

My dog has urinary tract...

My dog has urinary tract infects pretty commonly (also ear infections). It's a Saturday night, so vets are unavailable until Monday.

I've noticed for about 36 hours that she's trying to pee often and got a urine sample today. I didn't get an initial urine sample, but followed her around on the 2nd trip outside. She was dripping dark urine or blood (doesn't have much/any odor to it) and what looks like a blood clot about 1/8th an inch by 1/4th an inch. She's a 75 lb dog.

We've tried apple cider vinegar, yogurt, and cranberry juice in the past and they haven't seemed to help much, they also have little benefit at this stage I believe?

Overall looking for a possible solution that we can do on a Saturday night, otherwise will need to take her in Monday to get antibiotics.

11/10/2013
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Boomer is having to deal with a UTI. They can be quite uncomfortable.

Dr. G. :

Unfortunately, there is no good over the counter cure for a urinary tract infection at this stage. She will need antibiotics. Would you be willing to take her to a different vet tomorrow instead of your normal vet?

Customer:

Yes, I suppose that's what we'll have to do.

Dr. G. :

You could head to a banfield animal hospital tomorrow. They are found in most major areas and have sunday hours

Dr. G. :

much cheaper than an emergency hospital

Customer:

Are there any long-term solutions for prevention? Mainly what I listed? Giving her vinegar and yogurt when she's not having problems?

Dr. G. :

has she had any recent bloodwork lately and was it all normal?

Customer:

I believe so.

Customer:

She gets normal checkups and such, but has had UTIs for 3 or so years.

Dr. G. :

great. there are lots of diseases that can cause these recurrent infections, if the bloodwork is normal then it is likely not related to common hormone diseases. long term prevention is going to be dependent on what the urine looks like (a urinalysis). The pH is a big factor, so diet can sometimes be changed to a Prescription diet, which brings the pH to a more normal level and can prevent these problems. Lean body weight can also help. This breed often also has abnormalities with the vulva (a hooded vulva), so if that is present, that will need surgery to fix the problem.

Dr. G. :

We just need a little bit more information first before deciding on the best prevention. If it has been more than 6 months since full bloodwork was run, I would have that re-checked, including a thyroid level

Customer:

Yeah, will definitely talk to my vet about potentially getting some additional tests done. She has them pretty frequently, changing her diet seemed to help her ears.

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian