Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog got suddenly very ill, vomiting, for awhile, now drinking

a lot of water, he's...
my dog got suddenly very ill, vomiting, for awhile, now drinking a lot of water, he's not sleeping , he started getting sick thursday nov 7th in the afternoon. he doesn't want to move and won't eat.
11/9/2013
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to that Lucky isn't feeling well. It sounds as if this is a serious problem that may require veterinary intervention to get better.

Vomiting can be due to a variety of problems, from a blockage or obstruction (from eating something he shouldn't have) that could require surgery to resolve to a simple case of gastroenteritis (inflammation). It is concerning that he is drinking more than normal-- this could mean that he is getting dehydrated from vomiting, or that his vomiting is related to an underlying disorder, like diabetes, that causes increased drinking and urination.

I would highly recommend a trip to the veterinarian as soon as possible, because if this is a GI obstruction or an underlying disorder like diabetes, it can become life threatening very quickly if it's not addressed. Your vet can do tests like blood work and x-rays to find out exactly what is going on, and treat your dog accordingly. It's generally harder and more expensive to get veterinary care on Sunday than it is on Saturday, so I'd encourage you to do this right away.

At home, withhold all food for 12 hours. If he isn't vomiting after 12 hours, he can have a golfball-sized portion or two of plain white chicken and plain white rice, boiled, with no salt or additional flavors. Don't force him to eat, but if he eats it and holds it down, he can have small meals every 4 hours as long as he isn't vomiting. I don't recommend aspirin or pepto bismol-- both contain aspirin, and even a single small dose of aspirin can be very irritating to the stomach and cause GI bleeding in dogs.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

do you think it could be the virus that was on the news in Ohio?

If you are in Ohio, Michigan, or another area where it's been seen, I don't suppose we can rule it out. It's usually associated with bloody diarrhea, though, which I understand your dog isn't experiencing? Most of the dogs in Ohio were also around humans who were also sick (they got it from their people).

There are so many more common reasons for dogs to have vomiting (and even diarrhea, though, that it is not at the top of my list of things I'd be looking for in your dog.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know about the aspirin, pepto, i did find a tick on him just now, though was surprised because he had the meds for that maybe 2 to 3 weeks ago. we're not sick here so guess it's not the ohio virus. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX he will get better soon, we have rice and chicken for him when he's ready.

I do hope that he gets better right away. Pepto, especially, is confusing for people because it's on the label as "salicylate", which most people don't know is aspirin.

I'd really encourage you to have a vet work him up, though, just in case he has an obstruction or something more serious going on (and especially if he's continuing to vomit on an empty stomach or it's not getting better). It may just be gastroenteritis, but better safe than sorry!
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian