Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been licking between his toes on one paw. It looks

My dog has been licking...
My dog has been licking between his toes on one paw. It looks red, but I don't see any broken skin. He has been acting a little strange trying to walk today.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/8/2013
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help.
How much does he weigh?
Does he take any medications or have other medical conditions?
Are his other toes normal?
Is he limping?

He has a displaced hip - he is taking pain meds daily until he has his surgery. The hip displacement took place with the prior owner when he was less than a year old. They did not take him to be checked out. We recently took him to OSU and they are going to do surgery.

The other toes are normal. No, he is not limping. He weighs 25 pounds. The location is not red, but it is pretty pink.

Thank you for answering my questions. The pain meds may help this situation some. The hydrocortisone cream is a good idea. Keep doing that once daily. You can also apply a triple antibiotic such as neosporin at the same time. I'd also recommend giving 25mg of benadryl every 12 hours. It may make him a little sleepy but can help with the irritation and itching. This may end up needing oral antibiotics if things don't improve. If you have more questions please reply back.

Thank you very much! Rowdy thanks you too!Cool

You're welcome Rowdy! Have a great night.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian