Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My husband washed our dog with human body wash, and our

dog's skin is miserable with...
My husband washed our dog with human body wash, and our dog's skin is miserable with irritated skin and a horrible smell. What is the best thing to do for her?
11/7/2013
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she licking the irritated area?
2- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Yes she is licking all the time and she weighs about 70 lbs.

1- Is the skin irritated in one localized area or all over the body?

it looks like it is all over, i know it it on the tops of her feet and her chest, because those are her whites spots you can see the red irritated skin, because the rest of her is grey coloring I havent seen but she does scratch at her self. I feel bad for her she looks miserable and smells horrible.

Alicia, it sounds like she had a really bad reaction to the shampoo. She may need to be seen by your family veterinarian for prescription oral medications. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pet store an oatmeal based shampoo and bath her 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks.

3- Apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin in any sores that she may have. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 2 tablets every 12 hours for 7-10 days.

5- Follow up with your family veterinarian if no significant improvement within 24 hours of doing the above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian