Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4 month old puppy threw up 2 nights ago. After the initial

throw up she threw up...
My 4 month old puppy threw up 2 nights ago. After the initial throw up she threw up the excess in 3 other attempts, getting everything out I assume. Now she every once in a while gets off balance. Has not been eating, just nipping at the food but not eating. She does drink the water. Last night her poop was a little runny. Sometimes she gets a little excited but has been very calm. She is usually very energetic. She hasn't thrown up since.
3 days ago she got her 3rd set of shots. I also bought her a flea and tick collar that isn't to be worn before 4 months. Shes a couple of days short of that.
Should I take her to a vet or is this something mild that will pass. She has also been eating grass and the prior week to the incident, I would treat her to human food when she trained. Ham, turkey, sometimes cheese, and a turkey frank. Usually though ham and turkey.
11/5/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Audi.
Definitely, without hesitation, I think this is well worth a vet visit.
With repeat vomiting episodes and risk for dehydration and/or body weight loss in a 4 month old, I want them to quickly get supportive care.

Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

Also, all human foods must stop. We don't know with any certainty if one of them could be causing a problem for her. To many things going into the mouth.
For now, stick with her regular dog food only, train with her dog kibbles, and nothing else.

Do not apply that flea/tick collar. Most vets don't use these anymore because they work horrible for fleas and cause many reactions.

You are much better off with a quality topical flea control product or the pill form of flea control called Comfortis when Audi is feeling better.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Also, if she has not been fecal tested yet that is a must. If it was done but not sent out to a lab, REPEAT IT!

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

Very sorry that Audi is not feeling well. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director