Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog 2 year old Goldendoodle Hermes, was dry heaving every

My dog 2 year old Goldendoodle Hermes, was dry heaving every morning for about 3 weeks. On Satureday night (11/2) he threw up an entire tennis ball. (he has issues eating toys and balls and this has happened before. All without consequence)

Since he threw it up he has been vomiting a yellow bile and has not been eating or drinking anything. He seems very lethargic and uncomfortable. My wife has been forcing him to drink water and keep hydrated and he has only thrown up a little since she gave him that water.

I want to know if he is just feeling sick because the ball is no longer in his stomach and perhaps he is dealing with an irritated esophagus or stomach lining and with some rest and water he will start to feel better? or is this a symptom of something worse?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
3- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1-He weighs 56lbs.

2-his gums are pink

3- I am unable to take his rectal temp. We don't have a good thermometer.

Harley, it is possible that the ball could have caused some irritation in the gastrointestinal tract. But, the fact that he is lethargic, not eating and uncomfortable most likely is that there could be another foreign body in his gastrointestinal tract. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit, lethargic or anorexic after doing the above, he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for xrays.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still concerned about the fact that he hasnt had any food and only very little water over the last two days. I am concerned about him dehydrating while we give him the Pepcid AC and wait.

Ideally he should be on IV fluids. But, in the absence of IV fluids the first place to start is addressing the vomiting so that when you do offer fluids he absorbs it and does not vomit. So, the first place to start is giving his gastrointestinal tract time to rest as indicated above.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Hi Harley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hermes. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter