Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What are symptoms of canine ring virus disease?

11/1/2013
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. There is no such thing as canine ring virus. Are you thinking Parvo? Distemper? Something else?

Supposedly the disease originated not long ago out West and has moved East. Several dogs died not long ago in Ohio

Oh, you're thinking of Circovirus.

This is a very new disease that has gotten a lot of publicity lately. There are only a handful of cases reported that actually tested positive for this. There was a pocket of severe cases in Ohio and recently a couple cases in MI and out east.

The disease is a virus that we think is transmit from one dog to another via fecal-oral contamination. The signs are quire variable and non-specific. We see vomiting, diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, lethargy, decreased appetite, shock, dehydration and many times death. One thing that makes it different is that we seem to also get skin lesions. We get vasculitis- inflammation of blood vessels. This can lead to bruises and bleeding under the skin. That is something that makes this virus look different.

We don't have a known treatment yet. We basically treat them symptomatically just as we would the many other virus diseases that can infect dogs and cause vomiting/ diarrhea. If caught early and treated aggressively, they can survive. At this point, it does seem that the fatality rate is running higher than our other typical viral diseases.

There is still a lot to learn, but that is what we know at this point.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian