Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Hi, I have a 3 y/o lab mix. Recently it seems she has been

Hi, I have a 3 y/o lab mix. Recently it seems she has been urinating more than usual, accompanied by accidents inside the house. The urine is clear and smells like syrup. She has a past history of "allergies" although I'm not convinced her previous issues are allergy related. She has discolored patches that pop up on her belly and under her arms. They appear purulent at times, and it was originally thought these were cutaneous infections 2/2 scratching- although some are in places she can't reach. The lesions can get quite large (6-7 cm in diameter) and eventually crust over. Occasionally I notice an accompanying subcutaneous nodule under the patch. Any idea what could be going on? Any chance these urine issues are from a UTI or might they be linked to the skin problems and representing a more serious underlying disease? Thanks.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as i can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear your girl is not doing well. The urine issues may indeed be due to a urinary tract infection. Your vet will need to examine her and check a urine sample to make sure there is an infection, however these are common in female dogs and are easily treated.

Dr. G. :

The skin problems sound like infection. Skin cytology and skin scraping can be done by your vet to determine what the exact cause is of the problem: yeast vs bacteria vs mites. Often times recurrent skin infections are due to skin allergies, so if the signs return after proper treatment, a workup will be necessary to determine whether or not allergies exist.

Dr. G. :

I will await your response. Please let me know if you need any further information

Customer:

Hi Dr. G,

Dr. G. :

hello

Customer:

Thanks for the reply- We've gone thru many skin scrapings and full allergy testing. She's been treated for positive skin scrapings as it's been appropriate and has gone thru many a prednisone prescription. It's been a while (over 1 year) since she's taken anything- nothing was helping, she can't take steroids everyday, and we were just going thru the same cycle of going to the vet- skin scraping- prescriptions, etc. I wish I could post a pic of these lesions she gets- best way to describe them is an erythematous border with black, discolored skin at the center and crusting/scabbing around the periphery.

Dr. G. :

I see. Has the skin ever been biopsied? Is she on regular monthly flea prevention? Have you tried a "food trial"? (prescription diet with no other food, treats, or flavored medications)

Customer:

Skin hasn't been biopsied. She gets regular monthly flea/tick prevention and we've done the food trial. Now she's on Blue Buffalo "Basics" salmon and potato. She gets that and water daily- no treats, definitely no human food, etc. Her allergy tests came back w/ a laundry list of positive results (including human dander). We tried allergy shots and got halfway thru until then she had a bad reaction to one of the doses- 3am trip to the ER for epinephrine and Decadron

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear this has been so frustrating. We try as best as we can to treat these skin conditions, however we almost never get complete resolution and most cases become a long term frustration as it is clear that has happened to you and your girl. These lesions you are talking about seem a bit odd. I think it would be a good idea to have it biopsied and perhaps have a culture done as well.

Customer:

The only reason I think the skin problems may not be allergy related is bc she hardly ever scratches, bites, or even licks at her skin and can't reach many of the places these spots pop up.

Dr. G. :

Given she is not really that itchy, it could be something else besides allergies, like an autoimmune disease. This is why I think the biopsy is going to be really helpful

Customer:

Ok, I think that's probably the best option too. Wanted to make sure tho bc I'm sure the workup for this won't be cheap. Thanks for your help!

Dr. G. :

You are very welcome. These workups are indeed expensive and can often yield results that are not always very helpful. I wish you the best of luck with your girl. Have a great night!

Customer:

Thanks!