Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My Dotty has been panting excessively, shivering a lot and

My Dotty has been panting excessively, shivering a lot and is drinking a lot of water. Off her food - we give her Ultra Dog Low Calorie pelletts. Took her to the vet last Wednesday and he said she was sufffering from anxiety. Gave her tablets which did not help. Took her back on Monday. Blood tests were done on kidneys, liver etc. He says it is not billary but related to ticks. She is now on Doxydog - 1 tablet a day. I have paid R1 300,00 so far but am worried that she is not improving. What advice?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you're dealing with some type of tick born disease. These can cause joint pain, fever, lethargy, decreased appetite and even kidney disease leading to increased drinking/ urination.

Typically we treat with Doxycycline- an antibiotic. I also like to put these guys on an anti-inflammatory medication like Rimadyl. I go with fairly low doses. This will help with any joint pain, fever or inflammation in the joints.

I would talk to your vet about adding an anti-inflammatory med. That should help with the signs and allow her to improve fully. Sometimes these dogs will take a couple weeks to get back to normal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't mention that she is unable to jump up at the moment - she usually sleeps on our bed but cannot make it anymore unless we lift her up which seems to fit in with your diagnosis

That reluctance to jump is usually due to back pain or hip pain- that would go along with a tick born disease or even a disc herniation in the back. We treat the pain similarly, but we wouldn't use antibiotics with a disc herniation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Our Vet checked her back and said all seems OK but is the medication she on not an antibiotic?

Yes, Doxy is an antibiotic. I would just talk to them about adding a pain med as well. That should help these signs.

I'm sure they checked for pain, but some dogs just don't tell you when it hurts. The signs you are seeing at home are pretty classic signs of pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if I need to contact you in a day or two again if there is no improvement?

You can contact me on this thread. Just come back here and post a reply. I'll get an email and get back in touch with you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dotty seemed to have improved although she peed on our bed last night - presumably because she couldn't jump down. We have been out tonight for a while and have come home to find that she is battling to walk!

It sounds like it may be her back or joints that are bothering her. I would see if your vet can take a look at her and make sure her neurologic function is intact. They may decide to put her on some pain meds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did see my Vet yesterday and told him that she was still not well and shivering. He said to give it another day or to and then he would check her temperature again but it seems to me that things are more serious. Should I go for a second opinion or what would you prescribe and where would I get the meds from if not from our local Vet?

You could always go get a second opinion from an ER vet. I would probably try some tramadol for pain and see if that helps.
Type a follow-up message to re-engage your customers and find out if they'd like to ask a new question.

e.g. Hi Barbara, how is your dog doing? Is there anything else I can help with?

Tip: You can create reusable templates to save time.