knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian
71139618

I have a 7 lb yorkie that is pregnant. She had an sonogram

I have a 7 lb yorkie that is pregnant. She had an sonogram 23 days after breeding and there is one pup! Her due date is Nov 11th. I am concerned because she doesn't seem pregnant at al. Her belly is not fattening up. Her nipples are a bit swollen but not much. Could something have happened to that 1 pup or is it normal not to look pregnant with only 1? She is due 2 weeks from tomorrow. thank you for your help.

knstrand :

Hello, my name isXXXXX I can try to answer your question about Gracie.

knstrand :

With one pup, it's often the case that they do not look pregnant. This is actually a good thing because single pups can become so large (they have all the nutrients to themselves) that they are unable to pass through the birth canal and a C-section is required. If she was appearing pregnant at this stage with the knowledge of only one pup, I'd be more concerned about her not being able to pass the pup.

knstrand :

Everything is likely fine, you may notice a change in her like days before the birth - ie nesting behavior, mammary glands swelling and possibly a slight pot belly by then.

knstrand :

I would recommend feeding a puppy food to her starting now and through the time she is lactating.

Customer:

Thank you! That makes me feel much better! :) This one pup has a very special home to go to so I'm so hoping that all is going well. Thank you again.

knstrand :

You are welcome. Glad to be of help

knstrand :

Have a nice night

Customer:

I am feeding you Merrick canned puppy food and have been for about a week.

Customer:

You have a nice night too. and thanks again . your response was also very quick!