Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hello, and thank you for your time, and experience. My husband,

Hello, and thank you for...
Hello, and thank you for your time, and experience. My husband, children and I are very serious about getting an English Bulldog puppy, and have been in contact with a breeder. We've been waiting for the puppies to be born, which they have. Today the breeder gave me this information, and I'm hoping you can clarify please:

"We pride ourselves in the quality of our babes and normally sell for $2500.00 but we had a little problem with "Mabel" sucking on the boys so had to isolate her but she had already caused some of them to have herniated belly buttons. Its fixable but not till their older my vet says when you neuter them so the anestisia is only one time and the cost is $200.00 so I will be lowering the price of my babes to allow for the surgurey . Would love to show them to you , but "Toughy" is one of the boys with the belly problem , Mabel of course has no problems but hard to be mad at her as she is as cute as she can be, I have all of them in my bedroom but the boys are fenced and she gets to run free. They are almost potty trained to puppy pads. If you are still interested you could call a vet and find out what hernia belly button intails."

Is this something that should prevent us from getting Toughy? What are your suggestions?
Your help is very much appreciated, as this is foreign territory for us.
Thank you,

Birgit [email protected]
10/24/2013
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Belly button, navel, and the umbilicus are all the same things. It is where the placenta attached to the upper abdomen of the puppy. When the mom bites, or tears, the umbilical cord, a little too much force can be applied. So the musculature around the (navel) belly button tears. The tear is a gap in the abdominal muscles. The gap is called a hernia. So an umbilical hernia is a gap, in the abdominal musculature, where the belly button, or umbilicus, is located.

As long as it is smaller than the size of a dime, I would not be too worried.

The larger the hernia, the greater the chance that the intestines, or other intra-abdominal structures, can leak through the hernia and get stuck. That could cause a problem as the blood supply to the stuck structure would be compromised.

So, that rarely happens if the hernia is small.

It can happen in larger hernias though.

I would call the vets, in your area, and get a few quotes for the price of an umbilical hernia repair. Ask for the price of the repair with a neuter if you are getting a male.

Then, the breeder should take that cost off the price of the puppy.

But if you really like the puppy, and the breeder, I would not hesitate to get the puppy if it has a small umbilical hernia.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please reply.

Thanks

Thank you Dr. Gabby! I do have a f/u question. A dime is roughly 1.5cm in diameter. I haven't seen the puppy yet, and won't get to see him until he is 8 weeks old on November 6th. Will this critical measurement of 1.5cm still be the same at that age....in other words, the measurement is not related to the size of the puppy, correct? So, whenever I see the puppy and the hernia is larger than 1.5cm, this would be a red flag?

Thank you and have a great day!

Birgit

If it is a little larger than a dime, I would not worry too much. If it is larger than a quarter, I would probably look for another puppy. The hernia
should not noticeably increase in size in two weeks.

If you get the puppy, you need to monitor the hernia for change or growth.

As I mentioned, there should not be a noticeable size increase in the hernia as your puppy grows. If you come home one day, and the hernia looks much larger, then you would need to have him checked by a vet.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Birgit,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toughie. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian