Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs left side is very swollen and there is a deep red bruise on her belly near h

My dog's left side is...
My dog's left side is very swollen and there is a deep red bruise on her belly near her left hind leg. I am thinking she may have been bitten by something? Does that sound reasonable?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/22/2013
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the swelling on the skin; can you see a lump?
2- Did it come on quickly?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Is it bothering her?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Her entire left hind side is swollen. Her left leg is about 5 times normal size. No lumps.

Yes, it started last night and the swelling is worse today and the bruise has spread to about 3 times the area. The bruise is a deep dark port wine kind of looking area.

she weighs 65 pounds

she can't walk well due to the swelling, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain and she is not biting or licking herself at all

1- If you press on the swelling on her leg does it take a few seconds for the skin to return to normal?

not sure if I understand the question: If I slowly and gently squeeze the swollen area, it takes a few seconds for the swelling to fill back in. Is that what you are asking? It doesn't go back to normal, it goes back to swelling.

Yes, thank you.

Judie, it sounds like the swelling you are seeing is edema (fluid within the tissue). It is very possible this could be a bite of an insect, snake, etc. as you suspected But, it can also be secondary to a systemic disease like low protein, abdominal tumors, thrombocytopenia (low platelets), etc. The bruising can occur with any of the above mentioned diseases.
I would strongly recommend Judie you consider having her checked by a veterinarian today. You see, she may need prescription medications to help bring the swelling down before there is damage to the underlying tissue. At the same time the vet can try to identify the source or cause for the swelling. She is going to need some blood work and +/-xrays. In the meantime you can start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 50mg every 8 hours.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Hi Judie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tova. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian