Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 5 year old Viszla had a albium level of 2.1, and does appear

My 5 year old Viszla had a albium level of 2.1, and does appear to have muscle loss but no other syptoms of any kind

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Albumin is a protein found in the blood,

Dr. Drew :

and it can be low for a variety of reasons.

Dr. Drew :

First, the total protein level must be checked, as there are other proteins besides albumin, which may be elevated,

Dr. Drew :

Globulin, the most commonly measured protein other than Albumin, can be elevated due to inflammation, or some types of cancer,

Dr. Drew :

and the albumin level will decrease in compensation for the high globulin level, in order to maintain an acceptable total protein level.

Dr. Drew :

If that situation is ruled out, then we need to break this down into one of a few possibilities:

Dr. Drew :

There's either not enough protein being eaten (unlikely with a good appetite),

Dr. Drew :

Not enough protein being manufactured by the liver,

Dr. Drew :

Not enough protein being absorbed by the intestine (usually there's diarrhea or soft stools in this case),

Dr. Drew :

Or there's too much protein being lost from the body, either in the urine, or stool (see above).

Dr. Drew :

If the urine has no significant amount of protein present, we can most likely rule out kidney problems as a source for low albumin.

Dr. Drew :

I'd want to run a Bile Acids profile to see if the liver is functioning well, this is a blood test.

Dr. Drew :

Ultrasound is a good test, to check for structural abnormalities in the internal organs,

Dr. Drew :

but it doesn't tell us much about function.

Dr. Drew :

both are important.

Dr. Drew :

The next step would be an Endoscopy of the intestinal tract, with biopsies of the intestinal lining,

Dr. Drew :

in order to determine if there's a problem preventing proper absorption.

Hi Jordan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew