Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my 3 year old lab has been waking up in the mornings with white

globs in his eyes...
my 3 year old lab has been waking up in the mornings with white globs in his eyes
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2013
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help Gus.
How long has he had this problem?
Is he sneezing or having nasal discharge?
Are his eyes red or seem irritated?
How much does he weigh?
Does he take any medications or have other medical conditions?

hes had it for a couple weeks

no sneezing or nasal discharge

eye lids may be a little red

80 pounds

no medications or conditions

Thank you for answering my questions. An eye infection is possible, especially if the drainage turns to a green or yellow color or his eyes start to look irritated or reddened. Another possibility is allergies. It is common for dogs to develop an allergy to something outdoors. You could try giving him 50 mg of benadryl before bed time and see if that helps stop the drainage. It may make him a little sleepy. Benadryl can be given every 8 hours if needed. You can also flush his eyes with saline solution and they may help some. If the symptoms or persist or worsen then have him seen by your veterinarian.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Hi Luke,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gus. How is everything going?

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian