Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

We have a golden retriever 13 years old. She has moderate

We have a golden retriever 13 years old. She has moderate hip displaysia in her rear legs. She is able to climb 9 stairs several times a day with some difficulty. Our vet has recommended giving her 500mg creatine daily. Thoughts?

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can

Dr. G. :

is sandi on any medications right now: any NSAID medications like rimadyl/carprofen/deramax/previcox/meloxicam? or any pain medications like tramadol or gabapentin?

Dr. G. :

Has she had any bloodwork checked in the past couple months and was it normal?

Customer:

Yes, she gets 1/2 tablet of previcox daily.

Customer:

Bloodwork was done two days ago - normal.

Dr. G. :

perfect. the creatine is used as an attempt to create more muscle, however the problem is not in Sandi's ability to create muscle, it is due to her age and muscle loss from less than normal muscle activity due to the hip dysplasia

Dr. G. :

Creatine can cause problems in humans, so I typically do not recommend it for dogs. There are no studies using this product in dogs, so we really do not know if it is safe

Dr. G. :

The creatine likely will also not cause any muscle buildup with Sandi because of her disease even if it was absorbed well in dogs

Dr. G. :

The best thing for sandi is a combination of the previcox, joint supplement, fish oil, and low impact activity such as swimming. Other medications such as tramadol and gabapentin can be used to supplement treatment to help with pain control. Unfortunately, she will not build up muscle at this age, no matter what you use

Dr. G. :

Any increase in protein intake or giving something like the creatine could potentially cause damage to the kidneys, so I would recommend against it

Customer:

OK Thanks very much.