Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 5 1/2 month old German Shepherd puppy who has had

loose stools and diarrhea for...
I have a 5 1/2 month old German Shepherd puppy who has had loose stools and diarrhea for the last three weeks. He is gaining weight (61lbs) playful and has a great appetite and shows no signs of illness other than the loose stools. He has demodectic mange and is currently being treated with Ivermection 1.3 ml per day given orally; however the diarrhea was present before the Ivermection treatments started. My vet tried 2 courses of the metronidazole and it did not resolve the issue. My vet then suggested we send off for a complete diarrhea panel test and the results came back in yesterday and they identified some type of bacteria (cannot recall the exact name) my vet put him on a 21 day supply of Clindamycin 300mg two a day. In doing the research this morning on this antibiotic it appears a major side effect of this drug can be diarrhea. I trust my vet and would assume that he picked this antibiotic to specifically target the bacteria identified in the test. He also started him on the Hill's WD dry dog food since it has a high fiber content. Should I be concerned with using this antibiotic for diarrhea treatment on a pup who already has GI issues?
10/18/2013
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Cash has been dealing with diarrhea for so long

Dr. G. :

Clindamycin can indeed cause diarrhea (as can any oral antibiotic), however that is very uncommon.

Customer:

Hello Dr G yes as stated the good news is he is feeling fine gaing weight and playful other than th eloose stools cannot tell he has an issue.

Dr. G. :

I would not be too concerned with the clindamycin affecting your dog negatively. If anything we tend to see upset stomach and vomiting with the medication during the first couple doses, however that is also uncommon as well

Customer:

Like I said I do trust my vet, but you know this internet thing when I came in this morning and started doing the research on the clindamycin all the side effects point to possible diarrhea....that was my concern. So is it safe to assume the reason he choose that particular one is directly related to the results obtained from the diarrhea panel test results?

Dr. G. :

I would bet there was a bacteria on the panel that came back that would normally respond to the clindamycin. It is great for anaerobic bacteria, which can commonly cause GI upset. The internet can be a very scary place when even looking up the most benign medication

Customer:

Thanks Doc....you know I love my shepherds like they are children (smarter than most children as well) and worry about them. He is such a good boy but between this demodectic mange and now this he has had a hard time the last month or so. I just want to make sure I am doing all I can to make him better as soon as possible. Thank you for your answer it makes me feel better about the antibiotic.

Dr. G. :

You're welcome. It sounds like you are doing everything you can right now. I know it is very frustrating and I am sure it is hard on Cash, but hopefully Cash will feel better with the antibiotic.

Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great weekend!

Customer:

You bet....you have a great weekend as well Doc!

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian