Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua Ernie was just given his pink trifexus tablet

for the month. He weighs...
My chihuahua Ernie was just given his pink trifexus tablet for the month. He weighs 8.5 pounds. When I went to give my other chichuahua his pink tablet, Ernie jumped up and grabbed it and swallowed it. So Ernie has had a double dose this month. What should I do or expect?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2013
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Let me do a little research about this and I'll be right back. . .

Customer:

ok

Dr. Barbara :

Hi! Spinosad has a dosage range of 30 to 60 mg/ kg once monthly, and even at higher doses seems quite safe. What is Ernie's weigh?

Customer:

8.5 pounds

Dr. Barbara :

So he weighs 3.9 kilograms. His dose for spinosad would be 117mg to 234 mg.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

The doctor's office covered that info up with a sticky paper.

Dr. Barbara :

The dose for milbemycin is 0.5 to 1 mg per kg. Ernie is 3.9 kg, so his dosage range would be 1.95 to 3.9 mg. Remember, these are recommended doses. A toxic dose would be higher.

Dr. Barbara :

Let me look up the contents for the Trifexis you have. Be right back. . .

Dr. Barbara :

The tablets you have contain 140mg of spinosad, and 2.3mg of milbemycin. So in the 2 tablets he got 280 mg of spinosad, and 4.6 mg of milbemycin. These are both a little above the recommended doses but are most likely quite safe. I need a few moments to read about toxic levels and problems. In the meantime, you could make Ernie vomit by giving him 1 3/4 tsp. hydrogen peroxide. This should cause him to vomit in a few minutes.

Dr. Barbara :

I'm suggesting this to be on the safe side, as stomach evacuation works well if the substance was ingested within the last hour. I'll go do a little research about toxicity and be right back. . .

Customer:

ok

Dr. Barbara :

Dogs that were treated with 1.5 to 5 times the upper doses experienced an increased amount of vomiting than those given the recommended dose. We are making Ernie vomit anyway, so we shouldn't see any side effects.

Dr. Barbara :

Any luck giving him the hydrogen peroxide? Any vomiting yet? Do you see any pills or evidence of the pills in his vomitus?

Customer:

he just vomited,

Customer:

w/o peroxide; I was just about to give it to him

Dr. Barbara :

Any pills visible?

Customer:

I thought I saw one, but I believe it broke apart in the vomit.

Customer:

should I still give him the peroxide?

Dr. Barbara :

Very good. . .Ernie! No need to give him the hydrogen peroxide then.

Customer:

he looks sleepy, though

Dr. Barbara :

Lethargy can be a side effect of toxicity, as can itchiness and diarrhea. I imagine tho', that he now has not gotten a toxic dose since he vomited.

Customer:

he's had the pills a little over an hour now

Customer:

that's good to hear

Dr. Barbara :

Since you see evidence of one of the pills. . .even just parts of it, I doubt he even got a toxic dose beyond just having it irritate his stomach.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Barbara :

Now we have to decide when to give him his regular dose again.

Dr. Barbara :

Milbemycin is not long lasting in the body, so just based on that drug, you could give him another pill in 3 days. Let me do a little research about spinosad. . .

Customer:

I think next month...That was almost $40 (2 tabs)

Customer:

three days, ok

Dr. Barbara :

:) :)!

Dr. Barbara :

But to be sure he is protected against heartworms he should have it again in 3 days. I still need to research the spinosad part.. .

Customer:

ok

Dr. Barbara :

So. . .beagles treated with up to 100X the recommended dose of spinosad only had the toxic side effect of vomiting. This drug is obviously very safe. Therefore, I'd recommend that you give Ernie his regular dose of Trifexis in 3 days. . .sorry about the expense!

Customer:

no problem; he and Buddy give me much pleasure

Dr. Barbara :

I'll bet they are very fun together! May I be of help further?

Dr. Barbara :

Oh, did want to make sure you are giving the Trifexis with a meal. . .works better that way!

Customer:

Thank you. You have helped a great deal. I think I have no more questions.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

have a good evening

Dr. Barbara :

You are very welcome. . .very happy to be of help! Have a nice night! Dr. Barbara

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Jimmy,
Just checking in to see how Ernie is doing?
I'd like to hear about him when you can.
Thanks!
Dr. Barbara

Dr. Barbara was thorough in answering my question. We spent about 45 minutes online. She did some research, which reassured me my puppy would be okay.

I was very pleased.

Jimmy Morel

Hi Jimmy,
Thank you so much for your kind words. . .means a lot to me!
I assume that Ernie is well. If you ever need us again, we'll be here. If you'd like to contact me again, just address your question to "Dr. Barbara".
I enjoyed working with you and thanks again!
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian