Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What would cause my dog to drink an excessive amount of water,

more than normal and Wien...
What would cause my dog to drink an excessive amount of water, more than normal and Wien, cry at night
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2013
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello. This is Dr. Christian.

Dr. Christian K. :

How long has Madison had this problem?

Dr. Christian K. :

Has she lost any weight?

Dr. Christian K. :

Does she seem to urinate more often as well?

Customer:

3-4 days has not lost weight urinates more yes

Dr. Christian K. :

Is she spayed? Has she had any vomiting or change in appetite?

Customer:

spayed yes change in appetite no

Dr. Christian K. :

That's good. Thank you answering my questions about Madison. There are numerous medical conditions that occur in older dogs that can cause an increase in thirst and urination. Some of these include kidney disease, liver disease and diabetes. However, those don't usually occur suddenly and typically there are some other symptoms that occur. My concern for her would be a urinary tract infection. It might cause her bladder to be painful (hence the crying) and it can sometimes cause increased thirst/urination. In some cases blood will be visible in the urine but not always. It's definitely best to have her seen by your vet. A urinalysis will probably be recommended and perhaps some blood work to make sure one of those other unlikely disease isn't occurring. You could try adding some cranberry juice to her water and that may help a little until you have a chance to have her seen by your vet.

Customer:

what do you think in your opinion if I give her cranberry juice what do you off hand think it is of the three cannot at this time afford a vet at this time

Dr. Christian K. :

I'm sorry, are you asking if its okay to try cranberry juice first to see if that works?

Customer:

what would it most likely be in your opinion

Customer:

yes

Dr. Christian K. :

I lean towards a urinary track infection since she is not showing other symptoms. You could try the cranberry juice (just add a tablespoon or two to her water) for a few days but if things don't improve then have her seen. Urinary tract infections, mild ones anyway, can sometimes be cleared on their own but they can also worsen and cause serious illness.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Christian K. :

You're welcome. Good luck.

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian