Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 7 yrs + XXXXX XXXXX has a eye turning opiec

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it one eye or both eyes?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Is he squinting?
4- Any eye discharge?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it's the right eye, coming on slowly, no squinting or discharge, I see it in the light, she has some vision through it but it is turning a white color

1- So you only see the opaque color when you shine it in the light?
2- Is it like cloudy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it's cloudy

Friend, I believe what you are seeing is a condition called Lenticular or Nuclear Sclerosis this is when the lens begins to change as a result of aging, it does Not interfere with vision, it is a normal process. Another possibility would be a lens cataract, this can interfere with vision and may be a sign an another underlying problem like diabetes. But, most cataracts are usually inherited or secondary to aging. This is not an emergency but I would recommend an eye examination with family veterinarian to determine exactly which of the above is the underlying cause.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there a fix

If it is Nuclear Sclerosis there is no fix, it is normal aging process. If it is a cataract the vet will try to make sure this is not something secondary to another problem like diabetes, may need to take some blood work. Once the cataract begins to interfere with vision you can be referred to a veterinary ophthalmologist for a consult for surgery. So, yes surgery would be the fix for a cataract.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tootise. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter