Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy ate a sheet of paper towel. What should I do?

10/15/2013
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

while it is possible that the paper towel could soften and pass naturally,

Dr. Drew :

it is also possible that it could create a blockage.

Dr. Drew :

therefore, it might be reasonable to try inducing vomiting, in order to hopefully eliminate the risk of blockage.

Dr. Drew :

the most common approach for doing this at home, is to use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide,

Dr. Drew :

1mL per pound of body weight (maximum 45mL).

Dr. Drew :

this typically causes vomiting within about 10 minutes.

Dr. Drew :

it may be repeated once, if ineffective,

Dr. Drew :

of course, the safer approach is to have a veterinarian administer medication to induce vomiting, as this carries fewer possible side effects than peroxide,

Dr. Drew :

but if veterinary care is not available, the peroxide may be a reasonable choice.

Customer:

What is the percentage that it will cause blockage if left alone?

Dr. Drew :

impossible to say for sure.

Dr. Drew :

perhaps 30-40%

Customer:

What are the possible side effects o fgiving him Hydrogen Peroxide?

Dr. Drew :

stomach irritation (gastritis), which can sometimes be fairly severe.

Customer:

Is there anything else that can be done?

Dr. Drew :

at home, no.

Customer:

Does the side of the dog matters?

Dr. Drew :

well, to some extent --

Customer:

He is 60lbs.

Dr. Drew :

larger dogs will have larger intestines,

Dr. Drew :

but a paper towel can still be a large mass to pass.

Dr. Drew :

so I don't think it's appropriate to speculate that it will pass, just because he's a big dog.

Customer:

How would i know if somethings is wrong with him, if left alone?

Dr. Drew :

you'd see vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, diarrhea. Any of those may be cause for worry.

Customer:

Can i wait until tomorrow to take him to the vet?

Dr. Drew :

if you take him tomorrow, it's far too late to induce vomiting.

Dr. Drew :

if you wait, then you may as well just monitor him at home for any of the above described signs.

Customer:

Thank you..

Dr. Drew :

you are very welcome -- I do hope everything goes well, regardless of which option you choose.

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Ray,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bosco. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian