Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog ate oleander leaves 24 hours ago and is still vomiting..

just bile now but I...
my dog ate oleander leaves 24 hours ago and is still vomiting.. just bile now but I saw leaves the first 4 or 5 times she vomited. She is drinking water. I am not feeding her. The last time she vomited was an hour ago which was about 24 hours after eating or vomiting the leaves. What can I do. It is Sunday .. my vet is not in.
10/13/2013
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Hi
I am so sorry your dog ingested oleander. It causes severe stomach upsets and irritation but even more serious is that the toxin is a cardiac glycoside that can cause heart blocks and arrhythmias. I strongly suggest getting to your nearest emergency veterinary clinic for exam, medical workup and treatment as it can be life threatening. For the vomiting, hold all food and offer only ice chips after an hour or so and then small amounts of water or pedialyte every 2 hours after that. This will not treat the heart problems and I recommend getting her in. Good luck on this.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
I hope all is going well.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian