Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Has appetite, but acts like she doesnt want to swallow/eat.

Has appetite, but acts like...
Has appetite, but acts like she doesn't want to swallow/eat. She will only eat A/D Prescription Diet at this point. I know my dog so well, that I can tell you how many drinks she will take by the temperature of her tongue. She always goes in for 2 drinks unless her tongue is hot, then depending on how hot she will either take 3, or 4. Since this began she has quit drinking water so regularly. She'll go in for a drink, and then stops suddenly, turns away, but then if I offer her the water again she will take more short drinks. We've been together her entire life, and she has never drank water this way. She always takes two continuous drinks. I've taken her to her vet several times, but they can't figure it out. She quit eating altogether, and lost a pound in 10 days, and she's only 6 lbs. They thought it was her stomach at first due to her history with pancreatitis, but it became obvious to me pretty quickly that wasn't the case, because she won't even try to eat when she is having an episode with that, plus she eats grass. She does none of that now. Then they moved on to her back, because she does have some pretty severe spinal degeneration due to her age of 13 years old. I don't think it is her back either, because she will run around the yard, and do her favorite trick, which is dancing. When dancing she kicks her back legs out, and spins back, and forth in a semicircle. It seems to me to be something to do with when she swallows. It's either uncomfortable, or painful. She swallows a few bites of the smooth A/D food, but then stops after a couple, or gets completely startled, and tries to find somewhere to hide. Her regular vet just moved away, and the clinic she goes to has been having a bunch of temp. vets come in to cover different shifts. I am not a fan of this method, because I want her Dr. to know her history, and especially her personality, as well as the connection her and I have to one another. I know this dog better than I know myself, and I can tell there is something not right with the way she is drinking, and eating. She is so reluctant to eat, but she's been picky all of her life. The drinking though, that's been completely consistent her entire life. Always two times in for a drink, but now it's short drinks, and nowhere near as often as she used to drink. I carry water everywhere we go, and I offer her drinks all the time.
10/13/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Candy is having such difficulties swallowing

Customer:

Hi

Dr. Altman :

Have you considered going to a veterinary internal medicine specialist? The recommendation with the information provided would be 1.) a barium study to evaluate the technique of swallowing and following it through the esophagus to the stomach or more importantly 2.) endoscopy to video the larynx and/ or esophagus to find the cause of her discomfort

Customer:

It said you answered me, but then sent me here to chat. Is that what was supposed to happen

Dr. Altman :

Can you see my response?

Customer:

I have thought of that, but was unsure of what they could do, because one of the vets Candy has seen said there's really no way to check her throat.

Customer:

No, I didn't see an response. When I clicked on get answer this opened up.

Dr. Altman :

That is absolutely not true. It might be true at your veterinarian but a specialist will have the capability to evaluate the throat

Dr. Altman :

Did you see the response, "have you considered..."?

Dr. Altman :

If you are having difficulties I will change formats. Sometimes the live chat can have some bugs that make conversations more difficult

Customer:

The only thing I can see is what I wrote on the left side of this page, and your profile info.

Customer:

Maybe it went to my email address.

Dr. Altman :

OK let me change formats, if you don't see anything for a moment, please refresh the page

Dr. Altman :

I apologize for any inconvenience this creates

Dr. Altman :

The Q&A format will take a little longer but hopefully you can see my responses!

Is this any better? I definitely thing endoscopy would be advised.

If you can give me your location and how far you would be willing to travel I can try to find one locally for you. It also will give you a chance to work with one doctor versus shifting constantly. That has to be extremely frustrating!

Okay, yes that would be great. I live in Shelley, ID 83274.

OK while I look for the closest internist (geography is not my strong suite) what is the closest bigger town you are willing to travel to?
This is the list in Idaho (the first I do not believe is practicing):

Name Univ/Hospital Specialty City State
Martina Altschul SAIM Eagle ID
Adam Ginman Inland Northwest Veterinary Specialty Care SAIM Post Falls ID
Daniel Hume WestVet SAIM Garden City ID
Victoria Ochoa WestVet Emergency & Specialty Ctr. SAIM Garden City ID

I think that I have been to see an internist before in Jackson Hole, WY, which is only an hour away, or so. I think I was told she was the best one in our area, but I'm not sure she was in internist. Candy went there a few years ago for an ultrasound of her liver, because he BUN levels were high. They just inexplicably went away shortly after that though, but they've checked her blood every 3 months since. Would that Dr. have been an internist?

That might have been an internist or a radiologist. There is one internist in Wyoming. Does her name sound familiar?

Name Univ/Hospital Specialty City State
M. J. Forman Spring Creek Animal Hospital SAIM Jackson WY

Please let me know how else I can assist you both. I understand how scared you must be and having been rotated through different veterinarians at your regular clinic must be frustrating.

It really does sound like her larynx and esophagus need to be evaluated and endoscopy is with a camera going down the throat to see if there are any irregularities and being able to biopsy anything abnormal found.

I truly wish you luck and please keep me updated. I am going to set a reminder to check in on you both in a week to see if you have added information and a treatment course to get Candy feeling better!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Yes, that's who we saw!

Perfect then there is already a relationship there and it might help to get you both in a lot sooner as well :)

Can I assist with any additional questions today?
How is Candy? Were you able to get in at the specialist?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian