Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

dog has shivering,low grade fever,loss of appetite ,vomited twice ,tachycardia.Did go to v

et ,CBC/CMP wnl. hydrating her w...
dog has shivering,low grade fever,loss of appetite ,vomited twice ,tachycardia.Did go to v et ,CBC/CMP wnl.
hydrating her w small amount of water w syringe,dog is weak.
what would you recommend?
10/13/2013
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Audrey. That is great that you are keeping her hydrated with small amounts of water and a syringe that is very important. You can give pepto at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 lbs of body weight every 8 hours to help settle her tummy down. If she is still nauseated by Monday request some "cerenia" from your vet which is a much stronger anti nausea medication to settle her tummy down. Also offer her boiled chicken and rice or boiled beef and rice to try and get some nutrition in her. You can use low sodium chicken broth to mix in to get even more hydration in her until she starts to feel better. Even though her blood work was normal she may need a short course of anti biotics to knock out an infection that may be present and not showing up on blood work. Keeping cold compresses on her pads and belly is the best way to cool her off. That is where she will release the most heat. So I would give this a try for the next 24 hours and see how she does and if not big improvements then monday talk to your vet about the anti biotics and the stronger nausea medications to settle her tummy down. Keep up the good work with keeping her hydrated that is the most important part until she gets over the hump and feels better. I hope this helps. please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Thanks. Do you think she has gastroenteritis? She does not have diarrhea , vomited b/o of the fever and happened only twice . She is allergic to any meat and poultry , so no chicken soup. What you would recommend to feed her and can I give any fever reducer?
It sounds like she likely has gastroenteritis and it is possible that she will still break with diarrhea but hopefully getting some pepto on board and a bland diet might prevent some of that. I would use salmon instead of chicken or beef is she has allergies to those. You can buy canned salmon in water that works great. I would not recommend giving a fever reducer at this point because they all can cause more stomach issues.
Pepto . You mean peptobisthmol? How much water she must have b/ o I am using small 5 ml syringe and she is refusing , so only few drops goes to her mouth. If she is declining should I still continue to hydrate. Can I you something for flavor , so would attract her to drink ?
Yes pepto-bismol at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8 hours. She needs about 30 mls per pound a day to keep her hydrated adequately. If she is refusing then i would see if you can get her tummy to settle some with the medications then try to get her to take more water. Be careful not to force water to hard down her mouth so she doesn't inhale it. You can use the juice from the canned salmon or tuna and see if that entices her to drink more also.
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian