Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was a pedicure and she cuter his nail and them my dog

don't put the leg in...
My dog was a pedicure and she cuter his nail and them my dog don't put the leg in a floor I took the leg and don't shows any pain but I really Concerned please help me
10/12/2013
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sorry to hear Gordo is favoring one of his legs. Do you mean that the groomer cut a nail too short? Are you sure it is the leg he is favoring? When did this happen? Which leg is he holding up?

Customer:

Is the left on back and he was ok before that so I thinking is the reason but you can't helps

Dr. Scarlett :

It is possible that if a toenail was clipped too close recently that it is still causing him some pain. Usually the groomer will apply something like Kwik Stop powder that stops the bleeding. Usually it doesn't cause any further problems to the dog.

Dr. Scarlett :

But sometimes the nail can split from getting snagged or, if Gordo has been licking at the nail, it can get infected. Small dogs also commonly have a problem called a "luxating patella" or trick knee cap. The knee cap moves out of joint and the dog will limp on the leg. Since Gordo is favoring a back leg, I wonder if this might be an issue.

Customer:

But was 3 days ago and he don't put the leg in a floor but he see like normal with the food and drink

Dr. Scarlett :

When did he get his nails trimmed?

Dr. Scarlett :

Did the groomer say if she cut a nail too close? Is Gordo licking at his paw at all?

Customer:

No at all he put up with just the legs back but when sleep and them wake don't put the leg in floor and the grooming don't say anything about this

Dr. Scarlett :

How old is Gordo?

Customer:

8 month

Dr. Scarlett :

For the weekend, I would keep him pretty confined--no running, jumping on furniture, playing off-leash, etc. Take him out to go to the bathroom only, then bring him in and try to keep him pretty quiet. It is possible that he hurt something while being groomed, but with a little time it will heal up and he'll be fine again. If he is still limping on Monday, however, I would take him to your regular vet for an exam.

Customer:

Ok so Dr you thinking is but thing

Dr. Scarlett :

My hope is that it is just a sore muscle or pulled muscle from the groom. He may have struggled or something while getting his pedicure or during the trim. A trick knee is still a possibility, but that isn't usually so long-lasting (here is a good website on that problem: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2448). It might be a toenail issue, but if he isn't licking, I don't think that's the problem.

Customer:

What are need to do if this continue in a Monday

Dr. Scarlett :

If the limping continues through the weekend, then I would call your regular vet and make an appointment to take him in. Hopefully your vet will be able to pinpoint the problem. Your vet can also give you appropriate medications, depending on what the problem turns out to be.

Customer:

Ok thanks for your help Dr scarlet thanks have a good rest the night

Dr. Scarlett :

You too! My best to Gordo!

Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Yadira,
How is Gordo doing today? Back to normal or still limping?
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian