Dr. Laurie
Dr. Laurie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship trained small animal veterinarian. Interestes: internal medicine, dermatology & oncology
40350296

my friend puppy of 16 weeks just passed away from being sick

my friend puppy of 16 weeks just passed away from being sick (bloody diarrhea and vomiting) parvo test came back negative twice at the animal hospital. my question is i have a 16 week old puppy also that has been around the sick puppy that passed should i be worried about my puppies heath?

Dr. Laurie :

Hello. My name isXXXXX

Dr. Laurie :

Has your pet been vaccinated yet?

Customer:

yes she has had her 8 week distemper/parvo shots.

Dr. Laurie :

has she had any since the one at 8 weeks?

Customer:

no she hasn't i have an appointment to get her other shots (other parvo/rabies) on October 22nd

Dr. Laurie :

Even though the parvo test came back negative I am still concerned that the other pet could have had parvo and that your puppy could have been exposed. I would recommend having your pet testing if she came into contact with the sick pet. It is good that she had the one vaccine already but since she has not had any more yet she could become infected if it truly was parvo.

Dr. Laurie :

Another possible cause of bloody diarrhea and vomiting are intestinal parasites. Be sure that your puppy gets a fecal test done to check for parasites and that your pet is dewormed even if the fecal comes out negative. Once in a while we can get a false negative fecal test if the sample of poop that is tested does not have many parasite eggs in it. Most puppies have intestinal parasites so it is recommended that all puppies are dewormed several times.

Dr. Laurie :

Is your puppy feeling OK now?

Customer:

i have already had her dewormed

Customer:

and yes she is doing fine so far she is still eating and drinking normally. and still acting her playful self

Dr. Laurie :

Thats good. If this was done 2-3 weeks ago I would have it done again as it usually takes 3 rounds of deworming to kill roundworms and hookworms which are the 2 most common parasites in puppies

Dr. Laurie :

Oh good, I'm glad that she is still feeling good. When did the other puppy pass away?

Customer:

yesterday

Customer:

he was vomiting and had diarrhea for 2 days. my friends son gave the puppy that passed away a pork chop bone with out us knowing about it and ever since the he was sick. im just worried that my puppy would get sick since she was around him when he was sick

Dr. Laurie :

Ok, since it was so recent if this was infact parvo your pet could still be incubating the disease and could become sick in the next few days. If your puppy has any sign of being sick including having less energy, not wanting to eat or drink or if she has any vomiting or diarrhea take her right to the vet. Sometimes parvo tests can be negative if a pet is not shedding the virus in the feces yet.

Dr. Laurie :

If the other pet was obstructed from the pork chop bone and that was the cause of the vomiting and diarrhea (and death) then your puppy should be just fine

Customer:

the animal hospital that i took the other puppy to did not do any x-rays all they did was the parvo test twice which came back negative. so we have no real cause of death.

Dr. Laurie :

Since we do not know for sure just monitor your little one very closely. At the first sign of any abnormality bring her to the vet just in case

Customer:

ok thanks sorry im just over protective over my animals

Dr. Laurie :

I'm the same way :) Better to be safe than sorry!

Customer:

i agree again thank you so much for all you help!! you mad me feel a little better.

Customer:

made*

Dr. Laurie :

You are so welcome. Good luck with Lulu !

Dr. Laurie :

Take care!

I'm just following up to see how Lulu is doing. I hope she is still feeling good.

Dr. Collins