Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 7yr old female XXXXX XXXXX who is really active,

jumps around glad to see...
I have a 7yr old female XXXXX XXXXX who is really active, jumps around glad to see her human dad and mom that is moving slowly like her whole body aces and when you rub her hair towards her head, "opposite direction that it grows," instead towards her butt, she acts like it hurts and she is going to bite if you don't stop. She hasn't eaten during the day in two days and only eats when someone comes home, around 3:00 pm. We normally feed her twice a day. She has never done that before. She has been dehydrated before and given "water or fluid in her back." Is she dehydrated now or again???
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/11/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

I am so very sorry to hear Skittles is in such discomfort

Dr. Altman :

What it sounds like with the description (thank you for so much information) is that she has injured her back or neck. When you move her hair as you do, it causes the nerve endings to be stimulated and causes pain. Believe me I know after two back surgeries that this feels like little knives piercing your skin

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately I would advise to have a veterinary exam to confirm my suspicions and get her on some pain medication

Dr. Altman :

Likely she has not defecated because the position it takes to defecate is painful, along with eating less and moving less which reduces gi motility. Add in the possibility that she is dehydrated and the stools are going to have less lubrication to defecate

Dr. Altman :

JRT are notorious for injuring their back due to their hyper energy and interesting movements as they bounce

Dr. Altman :

I hope you are not having difficulties with the live chat format, I hope the information I have given is helpful to you both

Customer:

Well, she jumps up on our bed which is about 3ft to 3 1/2ft tall, but she just got like this yesterday 9th Oct???

Dr. Altman :

She jumped on your bed today?

Dr. Altman :

Did she hesitate? Was she able to jump down?

Customer:

Well I have not physically jump in two days like she normally does.

Dr. Altman :

It definitely can come on quite abruptly

Customer:

Yes she did hesitate and no she was not able to jump.

Dr. Altman :

I am highly suspicious it is her back...

Dr. Altman :

Do you have any previously prescribed pain medication for her?

Customer:

We did but the wife isn't here and I don't know where they would be?

Dr. Altman :

OK, perhaps when she returns you can give her something from a medicine cabinet or cabinet in the kitchen where the meds could be stored? But it sounds like she is quite uncomfortable and with the weekend coming up it would be best to have her seen tomorrow so that if things progress in the next few days you are not ending up at the veterinary er

Customer:

She won't be back until Sunday this weekend. I could call her?

Dr. Altman :

Your wife? Yes if she knows where pain meds might be that would be advised

Customer:

Ok, I will call her tonight. I could possibly get her seen tomorrow.

Dr. Altman :

Yes, that would be ideal

Dr. Altman :

How else can I assist you this evening?

Customer:

I guess that is good for now... but really?? Her back??

Dr. Altman :

Yes, that is what I suspect with the information you have provided...

Customer:

Ok , I was very detailed with you so I appreciate it. Thank you Doc.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

You both are in my thoughts, it sounds like she is in good hands...

Customer:

Can I get a copy of all what we talked about sent to my email?

Dr. Altman :

Once you rate the next screen asks if you would like to save before exiting

Dr. Altman :

You can also cut/ paste into a word document if that doesn't work

Customer:

Ok. Thanks.

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome

Dr. Altman :

Good luck to you both

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you and Skittles!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Hi S.J.,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian