Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX my 4 pound dog ate at least 2 of my

Ranitidine (acid reducer) 75mg pills...she...
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX my 4 pound dog ate at least 2 of my Ranitidine (acid reducer) 75mg pills...she has thrown up 4 times now and has drink a little milk to coat her stomach. what else should I do its been 30 mins since she has thrown up last and seems to be acting fine now but just wanted to double check?
10/11/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

It sounds like she ingested 83 mg/kg dose. Did she bring any of it up when she vomited?

Customer:

yes a little bit

Dr. Altman :

The good news is that ranitidine is used in veterinary medicine for various things. It is dosed usually at 1 to 2 mg / kg twice a day for gi upset. The dose that ingested isn't going to be of great concern. The veterinary drug formulary has this statement "In laboratory animals, very high dosages (225 mg/kg/day) have been associated with muscular tremors, vomiting and rapid respirations". So you can see that the dose she got is 1/3rd this dose when compared. At this time, no specific therapy is needed besides limiting water/ food this evening and then tomorrow starting small frequent meals of white rice and boiled chicken (hourly 1 tsp then as she is holding it down increase the volume while reducing the frequency)

Dr. Altman :

I would also advise not repeating the milk. Most dogs are actually lactose intolerant and it can cause further upset to the gi tract

Dr. Altman :

But nothing else tonight to allow the gi tract to rest and keeping her quiet then small amounts of water in the morning followed by small amounts of food

Dr. Altman :

If the vomiting continues with this then I would advise a veterinary examination

Customer:

ok good so tomorrow do the rice and boiled chicken

Dr. Altman :

Yes, exactly

Dr. Altman :

Just small frequent amounts to test the stomach

Dr. Altman :

It is bland yet bulking to the gi tract to minimize vomiting/ diarrhea

Dr. Altman :

And if she does well you increase the amount while reducing the frequency

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything?

Customer:

nope i think that was it but thank you very much! You have made me fell better!

Customer:

feel*

Dr. Altman :

That is fantastic, glad I was able to assist in resolving some of your fears. That makes it all worthwhile :)

Dr. Altman :

Good luck to you both!

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

Thanks!

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian