Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi my dog (Doberman) has severe pain and a low grade fever

Hi my dog (Doberman) has severe pain and a low grade fever six to seven hours after eating. The attack lasts for a few hours, then it passes and she engages in nearly normal activity. I've had her to the vet twice in the last 10 days, and her blood work and urine tests are completely normal. A round of both Clavamox and Baytril had no affect. For the last week I've fed her a highly digestible diet of Hill's Perscription i/d, and still no lasting improvements. She has a couple of good days followed by a couple of days with consistent attacks. What could the underlying problem(s) be?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting?
3- What is her rectal temperature?
4- Can you describe what you are seeing during one of the episodes?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The attacks have been happening every afternoon (around 2 p.m.) and every night (around 2 a.m.) for two weeks now.

She has not vomited at all.

Her rectal temperature at noon today was 102.2. At 2 p.m. it spiked to 103.8.

During her episodes she:

--has a slightly arched back

--usually has a soft tummy, but today she is a little guarded

--she is not able to find a comfortable position to lay in, and will usually settle in a tight fetal position, though stretching her legs frequently and sometimes getting up to stretch out her hind quarters.

--sometimes whimpers/moans quietly

--will not eat/drink for those few hours

She gets temporary relief when we walk for several minutes or longer. Otherwise her appetite is normal. Her stools are somewhat normal; sometimes a little loose and a lighter brown color. She's consistently a little gassy.

1- Has your vet done any xrays?
2- What time do you feed her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, we xrayed, two weeks ago, and nothing appeared. No stones and nothing else extraordinary showed.

Terra eats casually--not rushed--and usually around 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. (ish).

Care, the symptoms that you are describing in Terra are consistent with either abdominal pain or neuromuscular problems like a pinch nerve along the back. Xrays are great and often tell us all we need to know but they do a poor job evaluating soft tissue, nerves and certain type of foreign body. If the blood work and xrays were normal the next step is to discuss with your family veterinarian about doing an abdominal ultrasound. This test will allow your veterinarian to take a closer look at the abdominal organs in more details than plain xrays and will provide evidence not seen in the blood work. For example certain types of foreign body, pancreas (enzymes not always evident in blood work), etc. If the ultrasound is normal then I would recommend a referral with a neurologist to consider advance imaging like an MRI or CTScan. In the meantime, discuss with your vet about starting her on a pain killer like Tramadol until a definitive diagnosis is reached.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Care.,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Terra. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter