Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took my dog to see vet yesterday. Emptied Anal Gland and

I took my dog to...
I took my dog to see vet yesterday. Emptied Anal Gland and suggested blood test to check liver and Kidney etc...Did not check the stool that she passed for anything. Had slightly elevated temp. but dismissed as she was stressed out by vet visit. Why lab test? Can't find any reference for this anywhere for Anal problem she has.
10/8/2013
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hi Linda, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

I can only speculate as to why your vet would want to run blood tests for a dog this age since issues with the liver and kidneys would not be related in any way to an anal gland problem....and I've seen quite a few of these issues in my career!

Perhaps they were concerned that the elevated temperature was related to more than just stress?
If they had discovered something on the physical exam which they wanted to pursue with testing, then they should have told you.
Otherwise, I can provide no good medical explanation for pursing bloodwork on Butternut.

As to her anal glands, dogs frequently will still experience discomfort about 24 hours after their glands are emptied; they may still scoot or lick the area but this behavior should subside quickly if the anals were adequately emptied.

You may know that many, many dogs experience problems with these glands which can be just an occasional problem or a very chronic one. If the latter, then options to consider to reduce the incidence of problems would be:

hypoallergenic diets, probiotics, acupuncture of the spleen points, increased fiber (Metamucil), therapeutic laser, or even removal of the glands (obviously the last on the list for a reason).

I hope this helps. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Your answer makes perfect since to me. I read online at the dog-health-handbook sight that the foul odor could be a sign of an infection. If so how is that checked. Also, she suggested a steroid for the discomfort caused by the anal gland, but I decided to wait on that.

Linda:
Glad my answer made sense to you:)

Anal gland excretions are supposed to smell foul! This is not an indication of infection but rather normal function.
To me, signs of infection might include blood or pus which might be seen in the discharged material. More obvious signs of an abscessed anal gland would be a ruptured gland (you'd see a hole near the anal opening) or enlargement of the gland ... which would be quite obvious since there would be swelling and a very uncomfortable dog.

I'll occasionally give a dog a steroid injection if they seem really uncomfortable but I rarely do. I think this was a wise decision on your part to decline it.
If you wanted to give something at home for discomfort or inflammation, then Aspirin would be fine as long as Butternut isn't taking any other n'said drug.
The dose would be 10 mg/lb twice a day (with food to avoid stomach upset).

This LINK might be helpful but it sounds like you've already done a fair amount of research on this problem.
Deb

If Butternut isn't feeling better in a couple of days should I take her to see another veterinarian to check for blockage? Also, is there anyway I can print out or get this e-mailed to me so my husband can read it when he gets home.

Linda:
That would be my suggestion. Rarely will some dogs need to have their anal glands flushed under sedation but I emphasize that this is not a very common occurrence. I'd give her another day or so first, though, before I'd have her rechecked.

Yes, you can print out this exchange. Go back up to your original question and look to the bottom on the right hand side. There should something called "Share". Hover your mouse over it and a drop down menu appears with "print" one of the options.

I hope you'll keep me posted about her. Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Good luck, Deb

LInda:
Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I'll look forward to chatting with you in a few days about Butternut; hopefully, you'll have good news to share:) Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.
Linda:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Butternut. Are her anal glands still bothering her? Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian