Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Pomeranian born twelve years ago, seems he has a bowel abstraction

Pomeranian born twelve years ago, seems he has a bowel abstraction because he strains over and over for months now and cant dispose of any stool. he had surgery for a small tumor recently next to his anus (no cancer) vet thought this might help, it hasn't. please tell me what are my options.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

There is no question here, your dog needs an exploratory surgery of his abdomen. He has something obstructing the colon. This may be a mass in the colon or rectum or it may be a mass in the prostate creating a type of obstruction.

If this is a colon mass, it can be removed surgically and that should resolve the signs. They would then biopsy it to see if follow up chemo is needed or if surgery is curative. If it's a prostate mass, they can try to remove part of it or just get a biopsy sample and drain any type of abscess that may be present.

There are some other things that could cause this- lymph node masses, foreign body obstructions, ect- that would all be ruled out with exploratory surgery.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby. How is everything going?