Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was walking in the woods and stepped on something, limped

a little after but now...
My dog was walking in the woods and stepped on something, limped a little after but now she is favoring and licking her foot constantly. What can I do to make her feel better.
10/7/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Gracielou.

Benadryl was smart to give in case of any type of insect bite or sting reaction. Not sure if you gave a proper dose, so here's some more information about benadryl:

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Carefully examine the paw for any cuts, abrasions, paw pad tears, or puncture holes. If you find anything, you can do a foot soak in some diluted betadine (dilute the betadine to a light brown tea color before use).

Licking must stop! Whatever it takes (cone head, or even buying from a larger pet store one of those velcro rubber boots). Great in this situation.

The licking is your huge enemy. It will quickly predispose to much worse inflammation and pododermatitis (foot infection).

The only over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I recommend in dogs (NOT CATS) is aspirin. Due to potential toxicity issues if not dosed correctly, many veterinarians do not consider Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aleve safe.
You can give 10mg per pound of body weight up to every 12 hours. Just remember, there are different pill sizes for aspirin, so look to see if it is regular strength or maximum strength.
Aspirin can be upsetting to the stomach, so discontinue if any digestive upset and definitely consult a vet if not helpful. Sometimes giving some Pepcid A.C. antacid 1 hour beforehand can be helpful.
Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.

***Do not give aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication if your pet is already on prednisone or any other anti-inflammatory medication***
Severe stomach and intestinal ulcers can result from giving a pet aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofen when they are also on medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Prednisone, Metecam, Zubrin, and Previcox***

But, ideally, a vet visit is best since they have much more effective and safer therapies to try.

If you do find any specific area of irritation, you can apply hydrocortisone cream or triple antibiotic, but it does sound well worth a vet trip due to degree of discomfort and the licking.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate if you are not satisfied yet or have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director

She won't let me check her foot, although, I felt the pad and it didn't seem torn or have any protrusion. I HATE those cones, and I know the licking needs to stop, but anything else would make me feel better. I cannot get her to the vet as I am hospicing my father who will likely pass any day and just wanted to try something more at home. Thank you.

Sandra,
Not much else Ican do.
You could try placing a few socks inside of each other and then cover up the paw. That would offer some protection.

The aspirin is best bet for some anti-inflammatory benefit, but again, that vet visit might really be needed.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director