Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

We brought our 7 year old great dane in because of swollen

We brought our 7 year old great dane in because of swollen lymph nodes. Upon evaluation our vet point out they are extremely swollen on his neck, shoulders and moderately behind his knees. He's eating and acting normal and had no tempature. She has his set up to do a biopsy tomorrow under sedation. He's been perfectly healthy to this point. She strongly sees it as lymphoma and said do to his age she would recommend prednisone instead of chemo. I can find any information of great danes his age and results or how much time it could buy us. Were not sure what to do.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

It is a good idea to be proactive in these cases, where multiple lymph nodes are enlarged;

Dr. Drew :

but I would not automatically rule out chemotherapy based on age alone, if you have the financial ability to commit to chemotherapy.

Dr. Drew :

most dogs respond rather well to chemo for Lymphoma,

Dr. Drew :

so it is worth trying in most cases.

Dr. Drew :

Now, if Bentley has other health issues, such as severe arthritis, or other problems,

Dr. Drew :

then chemo may be an unnecessary hardship on his body,

Dr. Drew :

but if his health is acceptable otherwise,

Dr. Drew :

then I'd say it's worth a try.

Customer:

No nothing. Is there anyway to know how much time doing chemo could buy vs prednisone?

Dr. Drew :

Typically, prednisone alone might give 4-8 months,

Dr. Drew :

whereas chemo could double that.

Customer:

Will the biopsy reveal is the cancer had spread to other place?

Dr. Drew :

no, it will only diagnose the presence of lymphoma;

Dr. Drew :

more tests are needed (x-rays, ultrasound, etc) to look for changes in the internal organs.

Customer:

Are there any options other than chemo?

Dr. Drew :

3 options: Chemo, prednisone alone, or no treatment at all.

Customer:

Ok, thank you!

Dr. Drew :

you're very welcome -- I wish you and Bentley all the best :)

Hi Lindsey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew