Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Still dont know how to regulate my silky terriers insulin!!

Still don't know how to regulate my silky terrier's insulin!! Lily - 9 yrs. old/diabetic. I'm seriously ill & have no help @ home so some mornings I can't get up to keep her on schedule for her insulin. Today I couldn't get up til 1:30p - very ill. Gave her breakfast & shot (6 units Humilin) @ 2:00p. When should I feed her again & give her the shot & how much today/tonight? HELP!!! She only eats W/D in can & W/D hard food & sometimes my Vet says I can add some boiled chicken. I can tell when she isn't regulated because of course she drinks a lot of water & pees a lot! I know I need to have her blood checked during the day to see about the curves - I will call her Vet tom. but that still doesn't solve my problem of not being able to keep her on a schedule because of my illness - any suggestions???

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be

Dr. Altman :

I would rather err on the side of caution and give the insulin too late than too early

Dr. Altman :

So if you the last dose at 2 pm instead of giving it at midnight at a lower dose, wait until you wake up in the morning to give the 12 hour dose...even if it is 16 hours

Dr. Altman :

Being too high on glucose is much safer to give insulin than not being high enough and causing a low blood glucose level

Customer:

I'm confused because you sd. better to give insulin & be too high on glucose than causing a low blood glucose level???

Dr. Altman :

Better to wait to give insulin later

Dr. Altman :

Ideal is insulin every 12 hours

Dr. Altman :

You mentioned you gave the insulin at 2 pm so if you will not be up at 2 am it is better to wait until tomorrow morning for example six am versus midnight

Dr. Altman :

Which would only be 10 hours

Customer:

Because I've been told you shouldn't give a shot past the 12 hrs. So, that would make it 16 hrs. if I wait until 6:00am. Is that what you are telling me? Sorry......I'm very confused. I will be giving her her dinner about 7:30pm so I just don't give her the shot then & wait until 6:00am????

Dr. Altman :

It is better to give it past the 12 hours than give it at 10 hours

Dr. Altman :

Am I confusing you further?

Customer:

: It's OK to give her her dinner at 7:30pm, no shot, & then bkfst & shot @ 6:00am - is that right???

Dr. Altman :

Yes, that is perfect

Dr. Altman :

A high glucose is much much safer than a low glucose

Customer:

OK & then the next shot @ 6:00pm tom. night & start a 6:00am - 6:00pm schedule?

Dr. Altman :

Exactly

Customer:

OK........thanks...

Dr. Altman :

I apologize if I am confusing you further, it is not my intention but it sounds like you are understanding

Dr. Altman :

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer:

It's just that all of this is new & I never know even if I stick to an exact schedule if she is OK because she still drinks a lot of water & pees a lot.

Dr. Altman :

It sounds like she is not regulated yet but you are doing the best that you can with your situation...

Dr. Altman :

How long ago was she diagnosed? Was it confirmed by a urine culture there is no uti as well?

Customer:

No UTI.......should I put her thru the blood test for the "curve"??

Dr. Altman :

Yes that is ideal to determine if her insulin needs to be increased

Customer:

OK......that's it......I'll just keep trying. I 'm sorry to be repetitive but one more time......she will be OK until 6:00am tomorrow when I give her the shot again????

Dr. Altman :

Your vet can also run what is called a fructosamine level which gives an idea of the stability of the glucose over a period of time. It isn't ideal but if a curve is not a possibility then it is an alternative

Dr. Altman :

Yes, exactly

Dr. Altman :

And if you are concerned I am here another three hours if you need to run it by me again

Customer:

No, you have been helpful......thank you.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Hi Jackie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman