Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

my female Rhodesian Ridgeback has nail fungus which is not

my female Rhodesian Ridgeback has nail fungus which is not responding to systemic ketoconazole after two weeks of treatment by my vet..what shall I try?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Hey Jude, and that the infection is not resolving.

A few points.
When an infection is not responding to medication, we generally will assume either the medication is wrong or the diagnosis is wrong.

In this case, I would be suspicious of the diagnosis. I see a lot of nail bed infections that are not just fungal/yeast problems. Many times, there is a bacterial problem.

So, the ideal follow up would be to request your vet to take a culture of the infection at the nail. The culture will grow at the lab and identify exactly what infection (bacterial) is present, as well as, tell the vet the best medications to kill it.

In the meantime:
1. You could ask the vet to change the antiyeast medication to something like itraconazole.
In addition,
2. Starting a oral antibiotic is definitely adviseable.
3. Ask the vet for a medicated shampoo and/or leave on lotion that contains both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. They should carry something suitable.
Shampoos are great for making foot soaks for 5-7 minutes. In addition, there are even some leave-on lotions you can apply to the nail beds as well.

4. You can use topical anti-fungal creams like miconazole, but I wouldn't wait around to see if that works.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate if you are not satisfied yet or have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I did not mention that a culture has been taken, and showed a definite fungus infection. would a solution of betadine make a helpful soak? Also, Jude did complete a antibiotic course.

Hi Laura,
I would ask the vet to switch up the oral antifungal to maybe itraconazole for at least a 2 to 3 week course. Also, a topical antifungal would be great. Often, that can be something simple like a generic athlete's foot cream like miconazole. Just make sure your vet is okay with it.

Betadine soak?
Well, if it was more bacterial, absolutely.

I think you would be better off getting a shampoo from your vet that has definitive antifungal properties and then doing foot soaks. Also, when you do the soaks, make sure to gentle agitate the area between the toes and at the nail bed to help get them clean.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Hi Laura,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hey Jude. How is everything going?