Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My English setter was just bitten by a raccoon on the lower

My English setter was just bitten by a raccoon on the lower lip, it may be a scratch from the raccoon paw. It is about 2 inches long. His nose and lower jaw look inflamed now. He seems to be having trouble with his back legs, they're trembling. I did clean his face and applied Neosporin. He has had his rabies shot. Weighs about 100lbs. Do I need to take him to the ER vet tonight

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Jack got into this scuffle! Is the scratch full thickness? Meaning does it go all the way through or is it superficial?

Dr. Altman :

If this is a superficial wound then it can wait until morning but if it goes through several layers of skin and possibly all the way through the lip I would strongly advise a veterinary er tonight

Dr. Altman :

In addition to needing sutures he should be started on antibiotics immediately due to the source of the wound but also the location being on the lip

Customer:

Yes it is full thickness. It has not completely penetrated through the lip but through several layers. Thanks for the advice.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome, unfortunately that would indicate an er visit tonight. It simply is not worth the risk with it being a raccoon and being a lip...it would require more debridement tomorrow if you wait

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both this evening?

Customer:

I will thanks so much I'm off to the vet

Dr. Altman :

OK, you both will be in my thoughts

Dr. Altman :

You might want to bring a copy of the rabies certificate for them

Dr. Altman :

They may require a vaccination if you do not