Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my older dog (77) is eating dog when I take him outside

my older dog (77) is eating dog poop when I take him outside for his walk; I feed him healthy snacks & dog food why is he eating poop?

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

Is he eating his own feces or another dogs?

Dr. Altman :

This is called copraphagia, CLICK HERE for more information

Dr. Altman :

In an older dog it can mean they are not metabolizing/ digesting their food well or it can mean they have issues with anemia or other organ function

Dr. Altman :

If Dewey is eating his own feces you can put things like meat tenderizer in his food to deter the behavior

Dr. Altman :

You can also purchase something to put in the food such as a product called deter

Dr. Altman :

If he is eating other dog's feces this is much more difficult because you cannot treat their food!

Dr. Altman :

In this case leashing on a walk temporarily to stop the behavior but if it continues I would definitely recommend having some bloodwork done and an examination to ensure there is nothing else going on that is causing this new behavior

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats in a few moments to ensure you are not having difficulties with live chat

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance or clarify anything today

I hope you are able to view my responses in this new format. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both.
Hi Renee,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dewey. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman