How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ann M. Your Own Question
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4831
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Ann M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I heard our dog howl this morning and found him laying at the

This answer was rated:

I heard our dog howl this morning and found him laying at the foot of the porch steps. He was very unsteady and seemed to lose control of his back legs. When he walked he wobbled. He still wagged his tail when I approached him, but could not make it up the steps to his bed. We put food and water in front of him, but he was not interested. A few minutes later we called him inside to rest on a blanket, and he got up ok and came in, but was still somewhat wobbly. His ears are back, but he holds his head up and looks around. Is there anything we should do?
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. This sounds like a spinal injury. Dogs can do something that causes a bulging or slipped disc in the back, and it can cause them to cry out in pain and then walk wobbly or have weakness in the back legs. This can be progressive, and it is very painful, so the best thing to do would get him in to a vet today to have a neurologic exam and then get him on either steroids or anti-inflammatory medication for dogs. Especially because this is a Friday, I would not wait. When these injuries progress, then can progress within 24 hours to complete, permanent loss of the use of the back legs. It is a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless, and so I would see a vet today if at all possible. If that is simply not possible at all, then I would rest him as much as possible for two weeks- absolutely no running or jumping or playing, and leash walks only, and give him an adult buffered aspirin twice daily as needed to control pain. If he gets worse or does not improve, see a vet right away. Best of luck.
Dr. Ann M. and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Ron,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Ann - I tried to contact you earlier but could not. We had to put Boots down a week later. He had encephalitis and he went into seizures.

I am so sorry to hear that. :( Take care.