Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hi: Here I am. I have a lab report for the blood test. I

Hi: Here I am...
Hi: Here I am. I have a lab report for the blood test. I can give you the numbers or send you a copy. My girl has a temp of 102.2 now. At the doctor's office it was 104.7!
9/20/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So she has been able to avoid surgery at this point?

Customer:

Yes. I wanted to spay her but he says she should be fine in a day or so. He says she has a very slight infection but it should clear up. Of course, if it doesn't get better he told me to take her in tomorrow. But it like a miracle, she is perky now, eating etc.

Dr. Altman :

Did you do the bloodwork on her?

Customer:

On the bottom of the lab comments it says Band neutrophils suspected. What does that mean in normal people terms...lol

Customer:

Yes the complete blood work was done

Dr. Altman :

But her overall white cell count was normal?

Dr. Altman :

Bands are earlier staged neutrophils more than adult mature ones

Customer:

Is that WBC? 5.05 - 16.76

Dr. Altman :

So it essentially says that the body is taking out the reserves in order to respond to something

Customer:

Sorry it was 14.19 k/ul

Dr. Altman :

That is the range, is there a number that she was listed at?

Dr. Altman :

Ah so that is good!

Customer:

Yep

Customer:

Thanks for suggesting the blood work. I took your advice.

Dr. Altman :

I understand your desire to spay her at this point but a spay with an infection in her uterus increases her anesthetic risk

Dr. Altman :

It is comforting to know it is normal, for sure

Dr. Altman :

Do the bands make sense?

Customer:

Nope. I don't know what that is.

Dr. Altman :

Did you see my response?

Dr. Altman :

I can cut/ paste it if you are having difficulty with the screen

Customer:

I didn't see it. Sorry

Dr. Altman :

Bands are earlier staged neutrophils more than adult mature ones. So it essentially says that the body is taking out the reserves in order to respond to something

Customer:

I saw it. Sorry

Dr. Altman :

LOL that is ok

Customer:

I am old (58) and I can type real fast, but not as fast as the kids today with their texting skills. I guess that all for now. I am thrilled to death. She is ok. Thanks for everything!

Dr. Altman :

:)

Dr. Altman :

It definitely makes my day after the one I had!

Customer:

Oh, I am so sorry. Your work is very hard. Especially the very sick and dying animals. I couldn't do it.Talk soon. Will let you know how she does in a few days. I will let you go now.

Dr. Altman :

Thank you for the update, please don't hesitate to contact me if anything changes

Dr. Altman :

I hope I am not there tomorrow night that late!

Customer:

I hope not. Have a good night...at least try to. I will definitely let you know. Bye now

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I was thinking of you both, how was Sophie doing today?

She is doing fine. Her temp was 101 to 102.3 today. She still wont eat her regular dog food. I am giving her chicken breast, cheese, nutrical, and pedialyte through a syringe. Also some pupperoni. Basically anything she'll eat. Do you think that is enough until her

appetite comes back. I am worried she is missing some nutrients.

You can try jarred baby food (the meats), canned puppy foods as well to ensure she is getting some well balanced nutrtion...

Hopefully the appetite will return soon, especially with her being so tiny. I would also be continuing the karo syrup along her gum line every 4-6 hours as well as a precaution.

Great advice. I gave her some canned dog food but she only ate two bites of it. I will try the baby food (meats) tomorrow. Karo syrup too!

Thanks!

Good luck! Please keep me updated…
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian