VetInternist
VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Staff Internist and Medical Director
21344439

I have a lab thats 1.5 years old this is the second time his

I have a lab that's 1.5 years old this is the second time his tail hurts him when you lift it up and the next day it is fine

VetInternist :

Hello?

VetInternist :

Hello!

VetInternist :

Is he having any other problems? Like difficulty walking or incontinence?

Customer:

i did not notice incontinence he walks fine.

VetInternist :

Good.

VetInternist :

Was the pain associated with a lot of strenuous activity? or did he just seem to start having pain in his tail?

Customer:

his hips are fine also. he came out of his kennle today and you could see his tail hurts him. no hard work. he eats great.

VetInternist :

Has Blue been neutered? If not has he been bred recently?

Customer:

no

VetInternist :

he is intact?

Customer:

what does that mean?

VetInternist :

does he have his testicles?

Customer:

yes

VetInternist :

ok

VetInternist :

but you haven't bred him recently, correct?

Customer:

yes not bred ever.

VetInternist :

So I have a few ideas. . .

VetInternist :

None of which are likely emergencies or a need to been seen immediately

VetInternist :

no need to be seen immediately

Customer:

what are your ideas?

VetInternist :

First, this may just be a tail sprain, just like you can get with an ankle, knee, shoulder etc. The tail has many joints and they can all be injured

VetInternist :

he may have racked his tail against something hard and it caused some soft tissue damage or bruising. This will likely heal with time and you probably don't need to do much about it

VetInternist :

Labs wag their tails like crazy and often don't immediately realize they hurt themselves. Sometime later they feel the pain and they seem to carry their tails a little lower

VetInternist :

with time this gets better

VetInternist :

since he is intact, he may have a prostate problem. The most common cause for a painful prostate in an intact male is an infection

Customer:

i have a light with a glass cover in his kennel and he cracked it could be a cut?

VetInternist :

This infection can start from the urinary bladder or it can start in the prostate and move to the bladder so it shouldn't be ignored if it is there

VetInternist :

Absolutely!

Customer:

i think in going to get him neutered.

VetInternist :

If he cracked the light with his tail, you may have figured out the problem. I would take a close look at his tail and see if you can find the injury. That would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do

VetInternist :

If you find a cut, just clean it up and then keep it dry. It will likely heal on its own. If it is really bad it may need some stitches

VetInternist :

If it isn't healing, he may need antibiotics

VetInternist :

If you don't find a wound, I would consider having him looked at since prostate infections can get worse and spread,

VetInternist :

it may also be something in his back

VetInternist :

dogs with spinal disc disease are often sensitive when lifting the tail

VetInternist :

Blue isn't the right breed for this type of disease, nor is he the right age, but it is still possible.

Customer:

ok thanks.

VetInternist :

My guess is he will get better on his own with some rest. If he doesn't, don't hesitate to have him looked at. If nothing else, your vet can get you some pain medications for Blue.

VetInternist :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

no thanks...

VetInternist :

You are welcome!

VetInternist :

Thanks for using JustAnswer! We appreciate your business.

Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for your question.