Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

For the past 3 or 5 days my dog seems to be pooping more and

trying to go. When...
For the past 3 or 5 days my dog seems to be pooping more and trying to go. When I let him outside he'll poop, but it will be softer than normal. Then he "squats" another 1 or 2 times but nothing comes out. Almost like he feels like he needs to go, then nothing comes out. Also his frequency has increased, from once or twice a day to at least three or four. Sometimes he will go in the morning and then again 3 or 4 hours later, with the same routine of a soft stool then a couple more squats with nothing coming out. I did look closer at one of his stools today and saw some hair in it.
9/14/2013
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Christian K. :

Good afternoon. This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help.

Customer:

Hi Doctor, thanks very much

Dr. Christian K. :

Have you noticed a decrease in Jack's appetite or any vomiting? Has there been any blood in his stool? Is his belly painful when you gently push on it? Is he otherwise a healthy dog?

Customer:

No blood noticed, although along with the hair I saw this morning I saw a brownish spot on an otherwise tan stool? Not sure if that was blood but not what I would associate with blood. Last night is the only night I noticed an appetite decrease but the other nights have been fine. No belly pain or other issues. Seems otherwise healthy.

Customer:

Other than this poop issue, he seems his normal self

Dr. Christian K. :

What you've described are common symptoms of loose stool and colitis. Colitis is an inflammation of the large intestine and can have numerous causes such as diet changes, stress or even medical conditions like intestinal parasites or internal disease (luckily that's much less common). You can try adding some canned pumpkin to his food for a few days. That may help the loose stool. Otherwise stick to his regular diet. If you have notice lethargy, lack of appetite, vomiting or blood in his stool then have him seen by a vet immediately. If the loose stool persists in a few days then have him seen.

Customer:

Thanks Doc, I saw you said internal parasites. He's had hookworm in the past, about a year and a half ago. Is that the type of parasite you're talking about or are there others?

Dr. Christian K. :

Certainly hookworms could cause this.

Dr. Christian K. :

Whipworms too.

Customer:

What about increased appetite? Now that I think about it, other than last night, he seems to be cleaning his bowl every night.

Dr. Christian K. :

Both of those parasites can sap a dog's nutrition which can lead to increased appetite.

Customer:

Oh great

Dr. Christian K. :

Luckily those are easy to treat and also prevent. Monthly heartworm preventives can keep him from getting them again.

Customer:

But these symptoms are typical of heartworms, are they?

Customer:

aren't*

Dr. Christian K. :

No. Heartworms cause coughing and lethargy but the preventives also prevent intestinal parasites like whipworms and hookworms.

Customer:

Ok, thanks very much Dr for the advice and peace of mind

Dr. Christian K. :

You are welcome. Good luck. I hope he feels better soon.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian