Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

What to do if my Shiba Inu ate a decorative pine cone?

My Shiba Inu ate a small decorative pine cone sometime yesterday that the cat knocked down.

She had diarrhea overnight and vomited this morning (it was white and foamy). Do I need to take her to an emergency vet?

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Aspen. Yes, this is worth a vet visit today. If we had not known about the cone, then it would have been okay to try other means to settle the stomach and intestinal tract. But, with knowing that she ingested an object that could easily cause obstruction, and she does now have subsequent vomiting and diarrhea, I do feel its well worth the exam and very likely, an abdominal x-ray to see if it is visible and where. In the meantime, to help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include:

1. Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.

2. Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg

3. Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

4. Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. But, definitely, worth the visit today. I would also try to go sooner in the day, so if surgery is needed, it could be addressed immediately.

Very sorry to hear about Aspen. I'll hope for a quick recovery. I hope that information has been helpful.