Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

blood in

blood in poop

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear that Rascal has blood in her poop. This could be caused by a couple different things. The first thing we worry about are some intestinal parasites so I recommend taking a stool sample to your vet and having her checked for parasites. Also intestinal irritation from bacteria or viruses can cause this. So you can give her pepto at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 lbs of body weight every 8 hours for a few days and see if this clears up the stool. Also the bland diet it very important so nothing but chicken and rice for about 5 days. If anything gets worse definitely have her seen by your vet to make sure its nothing more serious. Your vet can look at the stool sample and make sure there are no parasites and if there are prescribe the appropriate medication. I hope this help. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!